Monday, March 25, 2013

It's that time of year again..wine making





A few posts ago I wrote about the dilemma of whether to pick our grapes or not. The update is..we didn't pick. Life and triathlons got in the way so we didn't pick right away. Then the rain came. And came. And came. And that was the end of that. The birds had a right old time. If we were both retired, we'd make a better job of using our own grapes. You really need to be johnny-on-the-spot with regard to picking at the right time. We're just not.


Not to worry. Action Man decided to buy grapes in - 20 boxes of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes from South Australia. They arrived yesterday morning on a truck, and the local home wine makers descended to pick up their grapes for the year. 99% of the local winemakers are Greeks, Italians and Balkan types. The other 1% is Action Man.






 
 
The ute was backed in to wine making central. Action Man set up the crusher/destemmer. Cameron, the 15 year old was roped in to help feed the crusher with buckets of grapes.
 
The good news was that the grapes were perfect as is - the brix and baume readings right on the money. No need to doctor this juice. It's right to go.
 
 

2 comments:

africanaussie said...

I once read a book about timing the brix and how essential it all is. I think you have to drop everything to do it. Glad you managed to find some grapes though - how much wine do you make?

Paola said...

We make about 300 litres of wine a year. We don't drink it all, we give away quite a bit to family and friends :)