Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Preserving tomatoes


We've grown all types of tomatoes over the years here, but the most prolific, reliable and resistant to fruit fly have proven to be the Romas. So, we stick with them, along with a cherry tomato or two to keep them company.
We have new neighbours, who are having their first growing season here. They tell us that they had to bin 200 tomatoes after the 45C shockers we had in January. The Romas came through that horror pretty much unscathed, and now, well, we are inundated with them. So it's time to preserve.
I've tried a lot of different methods of preserving tomatoes, but bottling tomatoes is my favourite. I've posted this method before - here it is again:
Simply halve or quarter your tomatoes depending upon size, and pack into clean sterilised jars with a tablespoon of chopped parsley, some salt and about a tablespoon of olive oil. Then you place them in a large stockpot, sitting on a teatowel. Cover them with water, bring to the boil. then lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes or so. Let cool in the stockpot - the lids should have made a seal by then.
That's it and that's all. Use as you would canned tomatoes in cooking.

3 comments:

Tania @ Out Back said...

Oh thank you. I have 25 kilos of tomatoes in my fridge that I was going to make sauce from, but I love this idea too!

x

Paola said...

Happy to help Tania :)

Marijke VanderVlist said...

I have many veggies growing, but something went terribly wrong with my tomatoes this year. I'll sure go with the Roma's next year, lots of them to make sure I can bottle some for Winter. Thanks for sharing the recipe.