Sunday, January 13, 2013

Summer bounty



Only a month ago I was wondering whether our vegie patch would ever get going for the summer. Well, the run of  constant high temperatures and low humidity around here may be leaving the humans and other plants wilting, but with a bit of judicious watering, the vegies and fruit are absolutely loving it. This is what we picked only yesterday, and folks, there's even more.
Most exciting to me is the top photograph of plums. Long time readers of this blog would know that my nemesis is the fruit fly, so growing stone fruit around here is an exercise in disappointment. Every year, we tend tend the stone fruit, only to chuck kilos and kilos of it into plastic bags and then into the bin, because despite our efforts the pesky fruit fly has it's way. But it occurs to me that where we have failed climate change has prevailed. Fruit fly don't seem to like the hot, dry weather and so, hooray we get to eat stone fruit this year. Hmmm. Somehow, I think I'd prefer to still moaning about fruit fly.
The spuds are Nicolas, my favourite potato. Great for boiling, salads and makes the most amazing mash, although I'm not contemplating making much mash at the moment.
The bottom photo of zucchini, cucumbers and beetroot were all grown from seed. I traded the cucumbers for tomatoes and strawberries with a neighbour because we have just so many cucumbers. The cucumbers and zucchini are loving the hot, dry stuff too. Normally they succumb to mildew. Not this year! The beetroot tops will go into a ricotta pie, and I'm thinking of making chutney with the beetroot themselves. I love beetroot and could eat it every day, but my family isn't as enthusiastic.

1 comment:

africanaussie said...

Isn't it amazing how plants will survive - you certainly seem to have some great crops this year. We still have plenty of humidity so just hanging in there with the real tropical types of veggies.