Sunday, January 20, 2013

Making curtains

We had another revolting 45C day here on Friday, but without the wind so the fire danger was only Extreme not Catastrophic. What a relief.
It's bone dry here at the moment. It seems incredible that only 12 months ago we were squelching around wondering if the rain would ever stop. Well, it did,emphatically, about 6 months ago, and we've barely had a drop since. Yesterday I dropped Mim off at her friend's place for a sleepover. The family has a dairy and this is the fourth generation to run it. The creek on the property has run dry, only the second time in the grandmother's life that she can remember it happening. It's dry, I tell you.
It is mercifully much cooler now. I don't think the garden can take too many more scorchers. The vegie patch and the fruit trees are just ok, because we've been irrigating. Our grapes have escaped mildew this year only to be turned into sultanas on the vine. Our trees and shrubs are looking decidedly the worse for wear. Action Man has been busy with his chainsaw this weekend removing plants that have carked it - a conifer, two diosmas and a NZ Christmas bush. We have another NZ Christmas bush that looks headed for the same fate. Too depressing.
I decided to stay inside today, and get busy making Mim's curtains. I picked up this material for a song ($3.99 a metre) from Ikea. Given I bought 18 metres of the stuff, I'm happy about that! Unfortunately, I didn't buy quite enough to make the triple pinch pleat curtains I was planning, as  I didn't allow enough for pattern matching. Sigh, so have had to opt for double pinch pleats. Not a major drama, but not what I planned. So the curtains have been cut, this week I sew. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

africanaussie said...

Oh I hate measuring for curtains! That looks like a good job to do away from the heat.

Paola said...

Yes, it's torture on your knees!

Tania @ Out Back said...

I need to make some curtains for my laundry and pantry to keep the heat out.

I have never made any before so it should be interesting...

x

farmer_liz said...

I had to look up NZ Christmas bush to check what it was, a pohutakawa tree of course! I didn't know that you could get them in Aus, I miss them so much, I wonder if they will grow in SE QLD....