Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Beetroot chutney

Last night I turned some of those beetroot from the previous post into four and half jars of chutney. Here are four of the jars in the water bath, after making the chutney - I didn't bother with the half jar, as it will probably be eaten quickly.
If you've never preserved before I would start with chutney. You don't have to faff around with setting points when you make chutney, as you do with jam. All you need to do is get the chutney going at a nice low simmer, and give it a stir every now and then. Too easy.

Here is the recipe I used:

Beetroot chutney

750g cooked beetroot, chopped small
500g apples, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
750mL malt vinegar
500g white sugar
1 knob ginger finely chopped
200g sultanas

Put all the ingredients into a wide, shallow saucepan. Let it "soak"for a few hours, then slowly bring it to the boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, and let it bubble away, stirring occasionally until the chutney is thick and syrupy.
Pour into hot sterilised jars.

2 comments:

Tania @ Out Back said...

My daughter made me some beetroot chutney so I didn't have to bother. I just pickled our harvest...

x

Jan said...

I have just made beetroot chutney and it's very good. My original recipe had apples but by the time I got around to it, they had been used. So I baked eggplant and used that instead. Along with a zucchini, past its prime. Some spices and sugar and it's very nice and well received by others.

I came across your blog from a link on sunny Corner farm.