Friday, January 25, 2013

Baked ricotta cheescake

Pursuant to my stated 2013 goal of nurturing friendships, I invited a family over for dinner we have known for a little while through our involvement in swimming. Our son is also friendly with their son at school.
The common advice when cooking for entertaining is not to try new recipes. Without fail, I ignore this advice. This baked ricotta cheesecake is a new-to-me recipe. It looked lovely and puffed-up like this when I took it out of the oven, then it sunk down into itself. It was served dusted with icing sugar, and poached nectarines (not ours, sadly) and raspberries, and went down very well. Not over-rich and cloying like your standard cheesecake, good for a summer evening dinner.

Baked ricotta cheesecake

900grams ricotta cheese (I used full-fat, I reckon I might try low-fat next time)
100mL cream
150g caster sugar
50g plain flour
pinch salt
1/2 cup sultanas soaked in orange juice
Grated zest of an orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 eggs

Heat oven to 150C. Grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin.

Whisk the ricotta cheese until smooth (I used a stand mixer). Add cream, caster sugar, flour and salt and mix in. Fold in sultanas, zest and vanilla extract. Whisk eggs in a jug, and with the motor running pour the eggs into the cheese mixture gradually.
Spoon into the tin. Shake the tin gently to flatten the top of the cake out and sprinkle with pine nuts.

Bake in the oven until golden brown, for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tania @ Out Back said...

The cheesecake looks and sounds nice Paola.

x