Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Miso soup

A few posts ago I wrote about the sad fact that the last few months had seen me expand. So it was back on the Weight Watchers programme for me. Dear oh dear.
So far, progress has been slow but steady in the right direction, hooray for me. I'm still to get to the measurements where I will  deem it worthwhile to devote an inordinate amount of time to making myself a complicated skirt (I go by measurements, not weight, and the whole weightloss thing sprung from a project to make myself a skirt, and shocked myself with the measurements).
For the first two weeks or so I stuck pretty closely to the WW programme. This was enough to recalibrate my ideas about portion size, which was one of my problems I admit. I love eating good food, what can I say? Apart from that, I am also observing the following strategies:
1) Giving the "c" foods a wide berth - chips, chocolate, cheese and cake. Not that I ate chips and chocolate all that often, but when I do, I don't seem to have an "off" button. Meanwhile, cheese and cake played a role in my undoing.
2) Limit snacking to one piece of fruit between meals. That's it and that's all, and only if I'm hungry.
3) Eliminating sugar from tea and coffee.
4) Walking at least 30 minutes every day - Dash the Dog is enjoying this one, and he's lost weight too.
5) Being very careful about my wine intake - one small glass only, and only at weekends.
6) Switching to skim milk.

I've found soup to be my main lunch time choice through all this- lots of vegies, not much fat. I'm enjoying miso soup quite often, like the one above. Delicious and filling, I don't feel deprived at all after a bowl of this. It's really easy. Here's what I do:

My miso soup

1 tablespoon miso - I'm using red miso at the moment, but will probably experiment with other miso types in due course
1 tablespoon soy sauce
50-100g firm tofu, cut into small cubes
2 bok choy (or other greens - silverbeet, spinach, snow peas etc) shredded
2 spring onions shredded


Boil 300mL of water in a saucepan. Pour a bit of water into a small bowl and let cool a little. Whisk in the miso to thin it out a bit and then pour into the saucepan. Add the soy sauce. Bring to the boil again, then take off the heat. Add the tofu, greens and spring onions, and let it sit for a minute or two to heat through.

This is one of those recipes you can change according to what you have - noodles, grated carrot, grated pumpkin, finely diced zucchini. You could try anything really.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Libby said...

Well done Paola. I actually meant to offer to send you the current program books. WW's had a bit overhaul about 2 years ago and the new program is fab. Pts are calculated differently and fruit is unlimited. If you'd like the books let me know and I'll send them to you (to keep).