Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Strawberry Guava Paste

Before we went on our trip in April, I picked all the strawberry guavas and froze them, as I didn't have time to deal with them then. Normally I use the strawberry guavas to make jelly, but I took 1.5kg, and made a batch of strawberry guava paste for the first time.
I didn't have a specific recipe. I adapted a recipe I had  for quince cheese, and here is what I came up with. I'm pretty happy with it. I cooked this on a low simmer for an hour, and would probably go another 10 minutes or so for a really firm paste. This is a bit soft.

Strawberry Guava Paste

Strawberry Guavas
Sugar
Lemon Juice

Place the strawberry guavas in a saucepan with water, bring to the boil and simmer until soft - about 30-40 minutes.
Strain off the water and cool. Blend or process the guavas (I used a stick blender) to make a puree. Push the puree through a sieve to extract the seeds. You want a nice, smooth puree.
Measure your puree. Put in a saucepan with the same volume of white sugar (eg. I had 3 cups of puree, so added 3 cups of sugar), juice of a lemon and 1/2 cup of water. Stir to dissolve the sugar over high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat down and simmer until the mixture thickens substantially - in this case, over an hour. NB. Don't wander off and do other things. This cheese requires you to hang around and stir frequently to prevent it sticking.
Pour into dishes lined with oiled cling wrap. I put this into a rectangular pan, but in retrospect I would divide it up and use a number of small containers instead.

3 comments:

africanaussie said...

Oh I bet this is going to be marvelous with cheese...

Paola said...

You bet, africanaussie!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Paola
I just found this recipe and have tried it out today. How would you store the paste?