Friday, June 15, 2012

Salmon Patties

One of the reasons we live where we live is that it is five minutes from the ocean. Action Man is a keen fisherman, so we have really fresh fish on the menu on a regular basis. Quite a luxury these days.
This is my mother's recipe, and she made this often for us tribe of 5 kids. I preferred them then to any other fish dish, and I still have a soft spot for them.
This is  a great storecupboard option. I made these the other night when I had run out of nearly everything, but didn't have time to buy food.  The last remaining salmon patty made an excellent sandwich filling the next day.

Salmon Patties

4 slices bread
 1 cup Milk
1 tin of salmon, drained (you can also remove the skin and bones if you prefer, but I tend to leave all that stuff in)
1 chopped onion
1 crushed garlic clove
1 beaten egg
grated rind of a lemon
chopped parsley
breadcrumbs

Tear the bread into small pieces, place in a bowl with milk  and leave to soak for a few minutes.  Squeeze the excess milk out of the bread. Place in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
At this point I usually put the bowl in the fridge for a half hour or so. If the mixture seems too wet, put in a tablespoon or two of breadcrumbs, so it still sticks together without being too wet.
Use a quarter cup measure to scoop up the mixture, form it into patties and roll in breadcrumbs. Shallow fry for a few minutes on medium heat until each side is golden brown.
Serve with lemon wedges.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks for sharing your Mum's recipe. I love fishing too but mostly in dams and streams. I'm hoping to do a bit of ocean fishing next week.

SMB Bearings said...

Oh those look wonderful! I am so hungry now ;-D

Tania @ Out Back said...

Salmon patties = YUM!

I will take a copy of your mums recipe to add to my collection. My grandmother's fish patties tasted awesome! Out of all the food she ever cooked this is the one I remember :)