Friday, June 1, 2012

Mmm..carrot cake

There are two things I know I inherited from my Nonna Lucia. One is her Roman nose, which is becoming more and more evident as I get older. The second is her love of baking.
It was my birthday last week and my family pandered to my predilection for baking, by giving me David Herbert's Best-ever Baking Recipes, published by Penguin Australia.
I think David Herbert is an excellent cookbook author. His Complete Perfect Recipes is one of my constant references in the kitchen. His Really Useful Cookbook, too is really useful. And my goodness me, this baking book is a cornucopia of baked deliciousness. Where to start?
Being a big fan of the carrot cake, I tried this recipe first. It  lives up to all a carrot cake should be. I've also made the Date Dainties, a recipe from the 1930s. Yummo.
I look forward to baking my way through this book. I know the family looks forward to it too.

6 comments:

africanaussie said...

Happy belated birthday. did you have to make your own birthday cake?

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday Paola. What a great gift. The cake looks delish.

Paola said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes - africanaussie, yes I did have to make my own birthday cake, but I don't mind that at all!

David Herbert said...

Hi there... I am glad that you like the baking book. Best wishes David Herbert

thosthos said...

Why this book isn't available in the UK, where there is a massive market for baking books, I will never understand. There are two things people need to know about David Herbert - he is a professional, so all his recipes work - and then, David obviously loves baking! So, what are you waiting for - buy this book - it's the most reliable baking book I own. Hint: the sticky ginger cake is to die for - if you have a sugar shaker, sprinkle icing sugar on top. If you can make real custard, try it with that. It's probably the best cake I've ever had. Thanks David.

Samantha said...

I have to agree - David Herbert's baking book is my go-to book! I've tried the Cinnamon & Butterscotch Thins and they were a hit! :D

I've also made the one-bowl blueberry & oat slice, flourless orange cake and Chocolate fudge cake. I still have room for improvement but when I use recipes from this book, I can be confident that they'll taste great!

@Thosthos, thanks for the heads up ^_^ I'll have to try that sticky ginger cake next time! And I totally agree with you.. this is a highly reliable baking book. I love it!