Monday, May 21, 2012

Mediterranean Chicken Bake

Here's an easy dinner that is a bit of a family favourite - every likes this one, and I like it especially because it requires minimum effort from me. Fifteen minutes on the stove, then into the oven for an hour, and dinner's done.
 I often serve this if we are having other families for dinner. The ingredients aren't too spooky for most kids' tastes, but it is tasty enough to appeal to adults too. Also it is easy enough to double the ingredients and cook it in two roasting dishes.
I've been cooking this for a few years now, and honestly can't remember where I found the original recipe - maybe Australian Good Taste?
Also, there is normally a bit more sauce with this dish, but for some reason I went light on with the liquid in this instance. Don't ask me why.

Mediterranean Chicken Bake

8 -10 chicken pieces (I normally joint a whole chicken)
Olive oil
1 kg potatoes (I normally use chat potatoes, halved, leaving the skins on)
2 sprigs rosemary
3-4 chopped tomatoes
Olives - according to taste - for me the more the better
1/2 cup dry white wine (water will do)
Salt and pepper

Turn your oven on to 180 degrees C.
(If you have a roasting pan that can be used on the stove, use this. Otherwise use a frypan and transfer ingredients to a roasting dish.).
Heat a couple of glugs of olive oil over a medium heat. Brown off the chicken pieces, transfer to a bowl.
Heat a couple more glugs of olive oil, then add the potatoes and toss around to brown them as well.
Turn the heat off. Return the chicken to the roasting pan. Scatter with rosemary (I don't normally bother chopping as I like the rustic look of whole rosemary leaves, but you can chop if you wish), chopped tomatoes and olives.
Pour over the wine or water. Season with salt and pepper and bake for about an hour. Check during cooking and if it seems a little dry, add a bit more liquid. Do as I say, not as I do.

Sometimes I'll tear up some sourdough bread or turkish bread and add this to the pan for the last 20 minutes.

Serve with salad and/or steamed vegetables.



No comments: