Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Now, that's a mushroom

There is no other way to describe this past summer than "wet". Save for the odd dry day here and there, it's pretty much been hosing down since the beginning of December. If I wasn't Vitamin D deficient before, I would be now. Sunshine - what's that?
Action Man brought this ginormous fungi in last night.  Here it is next to a 20 cent piece for scale - huge. And with another 100mm forecast for the next 24 hours, there will probably be more.
In the early 1990s we lived in the UK for 3 years, and the grey skies I think gave us both doses of Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter months. I definitely think people were more cheerful when the sun came out. The greyness of the last few months reminds me of that - any glimpse of sun is disproportionately cheering.
Meanwhile, sports training for winter soccer and netball hasn't started yet because of sodden sportsfields, and we are getting mould where mould has never been before.
I do appreciate a good soaking, I really do, but we've had enough now. Really, rain, you can give it rest for a while.

2 comments:

africanaussie said...

Oh yes it has been wetter for you this year than it has been for us up north. Huge mushroom - was it edible?

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Wow what a big mushroom alright, did you eat it?

I totally agree re. the dull weather having a negative effect..coming from the UK!

Hope the rain stops soon.