Monday, March 12, 2012

More knitting in public

Around this time of year, I spend a lot of time at swim meets, cheering on the offspring. Yesterday we were at Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre for the 2012 Speedo Sprints.
Usually I am required to timekeep at these events. Being a state carnival yesterday, though, I got to sit on the sidelines, which was an excellent opportunity for uninterrupted knitting time. I picked up an uncompleted project: a cardi-wrap thingy from Jo Sharp's Knit Book 10. The wool is Jo Sharp DK Silkroad Tweed in colour Emporio. This is an excellent beginners project, as it is basically three rectangles which are ingeniously sewn together to make the final garment. The yarn feels lovely as I knit it, I can't wait to wear it.
I was sitting at the end of the row (with an excellent view of the finish line, and the garbage bin). As I was knitting, this bright little six-year-old called Hallie sat next to me on the stairs and asked if she could watch me knit. She chatted non-stop for a good half hour, watched me knit, asked tons of questions, and told me she was going to ask her neighbour to teach her, because her Mum couldn't knit. She was a bit of a card, and pretty good company!
Another unexpected delight happened as I was lining up to enter the centre at 8am. A familiar face walked past, and I suddenly realised it was Kirsty from lower your presser foot, one of the sewing blogs I follow. Well, I had to act quickly otherwise I would miss my opportunity, so I bounded up to her and introduced myself (I had sent her some children's pattern books a few years ago). Hope I didn't freak her out too much - I can understand if  it did. It would be disconcerting to be accosted by a stranger who then tells you they read all about your sewing projects on the internet. One of the weird joys of blogging I suppose.

4 comments:

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hearing about your knitting has me wishing I had something on the go! I had plans to 'repurpose' an old mohair jumper into a scarf and hat but didn't get there last winter, maybe I will get on to it now!
Funny to read about you meeting the fellow blogger!

Kristy said...

I wasn't disconcerted at all, just a little embarrassed that I was probably looking like a zombie and was running late for the lesson so I couldn't stop to talk to you for longer. It was funny though, I guess it really is a small world isn't it?

And to be honest, I'm really hoping that Anna doesn't take up competitive swimming when she's older otherwise I'll have to learn to knit as well!

Paola said...

Yes, my knitting has come on in leaps and bounds since my kids have been swimming. Glad I didn't freak you out!

Libby said...

Good on you. I've started seeing more and more people knitting in public. It's a lot "cooler" than it used to be :-).