Friday, February 24, 2012

Fig jam

Achan from Jacaranda Blue has asked if I can post my fig jam recipe.  I thought I'd already done this at some point, but no, I haven't. So here it is. And like everything I give the thumbs up, it's easy:

Fig jam

Figs - I weigh out anything between 600g and 1kg, depending on how many you have.
White sugar - half the weight of the figs
Grated zest of one lemon
1 star anise
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice

Cut the figs into small pieces and place in a bowl with the sugar. Leave overnight.
Put into a saucepan with remaining ingredients.Bring to the boil (a lot of liquid will have come out of the figs), then lower the heat and simmer for 20-30mins until set point is reached (drop a spoonful of jam onto a small plate that has been in the freezer for a few minutes. If it wrinkles when you push the edge of a spoon against it, set point has been reached).
Put immediately into hot sterilized jars (washed in soapy water, rinsed, then in an oven on 100degrees for 15 minutes).

2 comments:

achan said...

Thank you I'm looking forward to adding the spices in my jam come summer. I'm eager to taste the difference!!

achan said...

Thanks for this lovely recipe Paola. I made it about a month ago and I'm making some more right now. I love the smell, it really feels like Autumn now.