Sunday, September 11, 2011

More lambs

Well, the sheep population of this place has increased by 66% over the last few weeks with the birth of three more lambs.
This picture was taken a few minutes after this little girl was born. For the first time, I happened to be present at the birth, although I didn't realise the sheep was in labour until just before this lamb appeared. I'd just arrived home on Sunday two weeks ago, and went out the back to talk to Action Man who was pruning buddleia. We were talking about this and that, when AM pointed out Ruth - "I think she's in labour". She was doing some unsheeplike things - pacing up and down, lying down and getting up, and acting in a distracted manner. A minute or so of this then I said "Are those feet I can see?" (we were probably 20 metres away). As AM said "I think they are!", plop! out came the lamb. Amazing. I raced up to the house for the camera, and here she is still covered in birth mucus.





A week later, these two girls arrived to Susy. They are a few hours old here - you can still see the umbilical chords. We thought (hoped) Susy was carrying twins, she was so big, and sure enough here they are.

Meanwhile, our male lamb from my post a few weeks ago is a bit of a boombah.

The best part - all arehealthy and thriving. Last year we lost two lambs, but this year it looks like they will all last the distance.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Love the lambs - so cute. Gotta love Spring for the lovely flowers and sweet baby animals :-)