Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Getting ready for spring


Don't blink or you'll miss it - our vegie patch looking tidy!



I call myself a slapdash gardener mainly because although I enjoy gardening, I'm not very consistent. I tend to have massive days in the vegie patch working like a maniac, interspersed with utter neglect except for picking. Our vegies have to be tough, because once they are in, it's every vegie for itself. Even with such shocking neglect, though, we manage to harvest quite a bit.

Here is how it looked yesterday after one of those massive days on Sunday. I should have taken a "before" photo. Picture these beds covered with weeds and the fence posts askew, spent eggplant, tomato and capsicum bushes (I wanted to see how long they would last before they threw in the towel - mid July is the answer), with lettuces struggling to maintain their foothold, after being shorn by the sheep who got in a few weeks ago and being smothered by weeds. Not a good look.

So I got the 13 year old to start hammering in those fence posts straight again, and fixing the holes in the fence. Meanwhile I weeded. And weeded. And weeded. Heartening to see the garden full of earthworms, so while it doesn't look like much, good stuff is happening where it counts. Then I sent the 13 year old to pick up buckets of sheep poo (I bribed him with his favourite Caramel Banana pudding for dessert that night- using my very last pre Cyclone Yasi frozen banana.) and flung that on the weeded soil. Meanwhile I was harvesting chicken poo (the glamour doesn't stop here) and flung that dung as well. Took the weeds up to the compost heap, brought back compost and stuck that on too. By now I was coming over all Peter Cundall-like. "Look at that!" I said to Action Man. "That's beautiful stuff that is!" And it was.

Lastly I mulched everything, because even though weeds grow through the mulch, it does slow their growth - somewhat.

Now I am thinking about what to plant in a few weeks time when it starts to warm up. This year I'd like to really get into growing more plants from seed. So far I've only really grown dwarf beans, lettuce and tomatoes from seed. The rest of the time I cheat with seedlings I buy at the local market.

In light of that, it was a very timely surprise to receive a gift of seeds - watermelon and yin yang beans - from Tracy at Sunny Corner Farm, along with a dishcloth too nice to use. Looking forward to trying out this seed growing caper, especially with watermelon which we have never grown before. Thank you, Tracy!


4 comments:

Libby said...

Good to see another blog post. I was thinking of you the other day and had been meaning to write an e-mail to see how you were.
The veggie garden looks good - all ready for Spring planting. Mine is still full of very tall weeds, well the half the dogs haven't dug up :-). I was planning on getting into it tomorrow but not if it's raining. Hope you and your family are all well.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

I operate in a similar manner re. the gardening!!
I was in there doing some weeding yesterday, although it was very cold outside (for us anyway!). I didn't get as far as compost/mulch etc.
You'll be bound to get a good result with your seedlings with all that soil prep.

kbenco said...

Your garden looks terrific, but far too tidy ;).
I send the chooks in to do my weeding, unfortunately this only works when I don't want the invited plants either.

emilysincerely said...

The garden looks great. We are not having weed problems at all. No rain in sight and haven't seen any for months, so nothing is growing, including the weeds. That sure makes weed control a breeze. I would really like to be complaining about weeds though, we need rain desperately. I hope your watermelon and new beans grow well for you. About all I was able to harvest from the spring garden (aside from jalapenos) has been loofah's. That was fun. Here is my post.
http://emilysincerely.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/harvesting-the-loofahs/

Emily