Saturday, July 23, 2011

Preserved lemons

Yoo-hoo! Netball has been cancelled today due to very nasty weather so I've been given back a day I wasn't counting on. Every day seems to be spoken for lately, so this is a priceless gift!
I'm planning to nick into town to return some (very) late library books, pick up some zips and thread for some projects I'm planning and buy the 13 year old some clothes. He has grown at least 6 inches in the last few months - he looks me square in the eye, and I am 5'9" - and nothing fits him. When he spent his school holidays wearing his school trackpants - because they are the only ones that fit - it's time to do something, Mum.
I'll probably then make a start on preserving some of the citrus we have out there. You'll hear me whingeing about our lack of success with stone fruit (fruit fly), but citrus - we can do that without too much angst.
I'll get the kids to squeeze lots of lemons for freezing. I'll cut up some limes, lemons and oranges and soak them for marmalade. Then I think I'll make another batch of Moroccan preserved lemons, based on this recipe:

1kg lemons
Sea salt
Bay leaves
Lemon juice

Wash the lemons, dry and cut into quarters.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of sea salt into a sterilised preserving jar.
Dip the lemons into salt and pack them into the jar. Tuck a few bay leaves in as you go.
Pour in enough lemon juice (from about 8 lemons) to cover the lemons.
Seal, and leave for 6-8 weeks before using in tagines, chicken dishes and salad.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment, and I applaud you for wearing your own creations every day! Something I have discovered since I started blogging is that I am not alone, and that there are other ladies who also make their own clothes and wear them happily and proudly. This is so inspiring!
And from reading your earlier post... I confess it, I am a kipper too!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Yes I do this too, must do more actually as have just run out. The preserved lemons are very good indeed in Moroccan lamb tagine....

emilysincerely said...

Paola, your preserved lemons look great. Back in March I made up two jars and have yet to use them. Do you have any special recipes you use them in that you can share? or any special ways you use them? Thanks. Emily