Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blustery day

Heavens above! Is a blowing a gale out there!
Yesterday afternoon I drove home from town after dodging half a dozen fallen trees and branches on the road. When I got home, I found our silky chickens out and about - their chook house had blown over. Fortunately, they didn't seem too shocked by the experience.
I rang Action Man, telling him to be careful on the way home - he used it as an excuse to knock off early. He didn't want to be stuck in Wollongong.
When he got home around 5pm I said, "Next the electricity will go". It always does when we have a bit of "weather". The electricity gods heard, because not 10 seconds later - bingo.
So we got out the candles and torches. I cooked on our gas stove and on the wood stove. Here is the dinner table set, under flickering candlelight. AM said I wouldn't get a decent photo without a tripod. Well, I would use a tripod, if I could find it in the dark.
I washed dishes by candlelight, then we sat and listened to the quiz on the ABC. I did a sudoku, then we finally went to bed around 8.30pm.
The electricity came back on about 11pm - thank you electricity guys out there in this wind. It's still blowing quite a bit, but it looks like I'll post this before the electricity goes off again!

1 comment:

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

It's blowing a gale here too and supposed to get worse over the next couple of days.
After a severe storm here a few years ago we bought a grunty generator just in case of those power outages. Should I tempt fate by saying we have not had to use it for a while?!