Wednesday, June 29, 2011

If you want something done, do it yourself

A couple of months ago, I wrote a post berating myself for having volunteered to become the umpire convenor for our local netball club.
The problem was (is) we had few umpires to convene, which meant I was wasting precious hours phoning around other clubs to borrow their umpires. The first couple of weeks of the season were very stressful as I was on this roundabout of phone calls (I'm not a big phone talker either). I was counting down the weeks until I hung up the convenor badge.
Then, one day - no umpires were to be had. Minor crisis, as games don't go ahead without two umpires.
It was then I decided to become an umpire myself, on the basis that if you want something done, do it yourself.
So for the last few rounds, I've been running around with a whistle, sometimes for three games every Saturday.
And get this: far from resenting it, I'm enjoying myself!
Blowing a whistle on misdemeanours and handing out the punishment is strangely satisfying. If only life were so simple!
I get plenty of exercise, running up and down the sidelines eleventy squillion times a game. Zumba - who needs it!
I have my weeknights to myself again, as I roster myself where we have umpiring holes. No more humiliating appeals to the niceness of others!
I've met plenty of nice people along the way.
In fact, I've enjoyed it so much that I've decided to coach next year as well.

I played netball from 7 until I was 17, and haven't touched it since. I'm not a typical netball, or sporty, type. I like to keep fit, but sporting competition isn't something I've been involved in for a very long time.
If you had said to me at the start of the year that by the end of June I would be umpiring and committing to coaching netball I would have said , "you're nuts". But there you go, there was a need in the community and somehow I'm there to fill it, and enjoying it.
Funny how life works out sometimes, doesn't it?

1 comment:

emilysincerely said...

Hey, what a great solution and so glad to here it was satisfying and enjoyable for you too. win - win. Emily