Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gardening Mistakes No.1 - Galangal

Here is a picture of our galangal patch, taken a few months ago now.
It is now bigger, (at least as tall as me at 175cms) and threatening to take over the vegie patch.
We were given a few tubers by one of Action Man's workmates. His wife is Thai, and he had to rip up a patch of galangal in his backyard. Now I know why.
This is major machete stuff, and I have a feeling that this is the sort of plant if you leave the merest skerrick of a tuber, you'll continue to beat it back with sticks for years to come.
Sigh.
And I rarely use the stuff.
Take it from me - don't plant galangal unless you have a major Thai cooking fetish.

2 comments:

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

I have galangal coming up in the veg garden too. Being a type of ginger it is quite hard to get rid of, I thought I'd dug it all up last year (moved it to our subtropical area) but I must have left a few tiny fragments of rhizome!
If it's any consolation, it does have lovely scented flowers!!

Paola said...

Yes, the flower is rather pretty isn't it? I think we'll replant somewhere else, where rampant clumping won't be such an issue.