Sunday, June 19, 2011

Do you KIP?*

Do you KIP - knit in public?
I was thinking about this recently. You don't seem to see as many kippers as you used to.
When I was a kid, you always saw women with their knitting out. I remember mums knitting as they waited to pick up kids at school. Kippers would be on the sidelines when I played netball. If you got on a train, the carriage would have at least one kipper. Every winter we had knitting crazes at school, as we all worked on our wonky knitted scarves at school lunchtimes.
Now - not so much it seems.
I have two kids that swim - that means lots of waiting around for training sessions, and lots of long waits at carnivals.
Recently I took my son to the NSW All Schools Carnival at Homebush and I took my knitting. He had one event at about 9.30am and one event a 1.30pm. A long time to wait sitting around - perfect opportunity to knit. ( I go quite a bit done too - uninterrupted time, bliss!) There would have been hundreds of people at that carnival doing what I was doing - waiting. Some were playing with their phones/iPods/iPads, the modern form of distraction/entertainment. A few were reading. From what I could see, though, I was the only kipper.
Recently, World Wide Knit in Public Day was celebrated. Do you KIP? Are we about to see the resurrection of kipping?

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Most definitely. Not just knitting though, crochet or embroidery too.
I've found that people like to watch too. I even had a couple of older ladies strike up a conversation with me becasue I was crocheting a jug cover once.

Paola said...

Yes, I also crochet and do my boring hand-sewing too - buttons, hems and sewing in threads.

africanaussie said...

Mmmm just trying to think about times that I am sitting around waiting and no - there is none! I think you get that time when you have kids - enjoy it! If I am waiting for something I tend to pull out a book and read.