Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thoughts on Japan

I've been meaning to post for a few days now, posts on my usual fare - cooking, preserving, family stuff and my new knitting project. Each time I've started I've been stopped by the overwhelming thought of how inconsequential and trivial this all is when compared to the disaster that is engulfing north west Japan. I've gone around all week with a knot in my stomach, contemplating the nightmare of the tsunami and earthquake and the unfolding catastrophe of the nuclear electricity plants.
I've been close to tears all week, and I'm sure this is why.
I've had to put myself on a media diet. Normally if I'm home, ABC Local Radio is on, with half hourly news reports, AM, The World Today, PM and stuff in between. This week it's all too overwhelming. I've flicked over to ABC Classic, trying to get some beautiful music to soothe my soul. Then I listen to 2 news reports in the morning and evening and that's it. That's enough to have me thinking about the dead, bereaved, the displaced and the long term damage that is likely occurring right now.

I feel I need to do something,yet I feel so impotent. What though, here in my safe corner of Australia?
Does anyone else feel this?

3 comments:

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Yes indeed I've been the same, can't get it out of my head. Check out whatreallyhappened dot com if you want to find out more, the media here aren't really making much of it, I see today they are now focused on Prince William's visit..
It's just awful, all those poor helpless people.

Libby said...

I don't watch the news and was watching the iditarod when Japan was hit so I really haven't seen much of the footage. So sad though and hard to comprehend the damage to life and property. There has been so much devastation this year hasn't there?

emilysincerely said...

I can't even begin to imagine what the people in Japan are going through. It makes me feel ill. Emily