Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Almond Butter

Well, I suppose it doesn't look very inspiring, but I had this home made almond butter with banana and honey on toast this morning and it was dee-licious.
Being partial to nuts, I've been wanting to try making almond butter for a while now. It couldn't be easier. All you need is a fairly robust food processor. You just grind a couple of handfuls of nuts (the above example was made out of 1/2 cup roasted almonds), for some minutes (maybe 4-5? I wasn't timing myself) until it starts to come together in a ball. It does this quite suddenly, so don't despair if your batch stays in crumbs for what seems forever. I possibly could have kept the processor on for a bit longer until a bit more oil was released to make a smoother paste, but this was ok.
BTW, I saw a small jar of almond butter in Coles for over $6, so this is another thing that is definitely cost effective to make yourself.
This batch is gone now. Action Man ate most of it, as is with a spoon, as he normally does with peanut butter.
I buy my nuts in bulk from a supplier in Sydney - Nut Roasters in Chapel Street Lakemba. This is my favourite food shop in the world. They roast their nuts on site and the smell of the place is incredible. They also have super-fresh pulses grains , dried fruit and what seems 20 types of olives too. I also buy my flour for breadmaking in bulk here (10kg for $11 or so). The company is run by a Lebanese family, and a lot of the clientele is Lebanese and Greek, people who appreciate a good nut. The turnover is high, so everything is top quality, and compared to supermarkets and health food shops, cheap. I get up there a couple of times a year and stock up.

3 comments:

emilysincerely said...

That is great! What an easy thing to do. I have never tried it, but I might just have to add it to my list of things to do. Sincerely, Emily p.s. my word verification for posting this comment was "nutess" (seriously)

achan said...

I am sooooo jealous. Bread flour so cheap. I pay $2.80 for 1kg :(
and nuts in bulk!!! I so wanna go back home. I made my first lot of lemon butter 2 weeks ago at a fraction of that in the shops, I'll have to make almond butter now (esp since the kids can't eat peanuts). Thanks for the idea.

Paola said...

Emily, "nutess"? that makes me smile!

Achan, oh dear. I guess there aren't too many nut-loving middle eastern types to drive demand in Japan. Thanks for reminding me how fortunate I am to have such shops around here