Friday, February 25, 2011

Unsung heroes - the worms

This morning I took some scraps up to the worm farm, and it occurred to me that I'd never posted about my worms. Quite an oversight, as I depend on these little blighters a lot, and probably don't appreciate them as much as I should.
They sit in the worm farm (one we bought from the local hardware store) up behind the compost bins. They mind their own business, get about their business, and all that's required from us is that we throw them some scraps occasionally. In return we get fabulous worm castings, and worm tea, which I use with abandon on the vegie patch. The cost to benefit ratio is heavily in favour of us in this relationship.
Every home should have a worm farm.
Blog housekeeping...
Congratulations to Bridget at Cabbage Patch Farm and Cathy at still waters, for winning the books in my blog giveaway. Hope you enjoy the books!

3 comments:

emilysincerely said...

Congrats to Bridget and Cathy on winning the books. And congrats to the worms for doing such goooood work. Emily

Tracy said...

You're right, worms are great workers for little pay. One day I would like to take the next step from our two black plastic worm farms and move on to a recycled bath tub farm.
BTW, the new profile picture looks good.
Tracy

Marita said...

My eldest boy won a worm farm - so he now has 2000 pets. He has not named them but they are going well in the cool darkness of under our house. I can't wait to be able to start harvest worm wee and castings.