Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hot weather cooking: Potato and Leek Soup


We're still having that revolting weather - 38'C (pushing 100'F, I guess) and very high humidity -I moaned about two posts ago. At 7am I ventured out for an early morning trundle and returned 45 minutes drenched in sweat. Sorry, can't think of a more delicate way to put it. Meanwhile, Action Man was doing his chores around the place, and came inside similarly moist. He was in Darwin in October during the notorious buildup to the Wet season and he reckons today was worse than the weather he experiencexd up there.
So we've had this stuff for a week, no respite. Unsurprisingly, I'm craving cold food, especially cold soup.
Cold soup doesn't sound very appetising does it? Just as hot soup warms your innards in cold weather though, cold soup is like a liquid ice pack for your insides, and cools you down better than anything else, I reckon.
I made some leek and potato, or vichysoisse, soup in the pressure cooker last night and cooled it in the fridge for lunch today. I love my pressure cooker, and in this weather it shows how useful it is yet again. I cooked this over lowest heat for 5 minutes, so I wasn't heating up the kitchen.
I followed the recipe for vichysoisse in Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child et al. It's the very first recipe in the book and super-easy, and come to think of it, low-fat. Here's my version:
Potato and Leek Soup
6 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 leeks,green part removed,sliced and washed
1.5litres water
Salt
Simply bring all the ingredients to the boil, and simmer for 45 minutes. Or if cooking in a pressure cooker, bring to low pressure and cook for 5 minutes. Liquidise in a blender or with a stick blender or mouli. Cool, and eat with yogurt, if desired.
Just as nice served hot, for you in the northern hemisphere!
An aside:
So I've changed my photo to one a bit-less-old. This was taken six months ago, as I was getting ready to go to fancy dinner - hence neat hair and make up, a bit unusual for me.
This photo brings home to me how much I am changing to resemble my maternal grandmother as I age - that nose and chin are hers! All good - Nonna, who died 11 years ago - was a great person.

3 comments:

Belinda said...

Great idea,

Must give it a go myself sometime I am always looking for no think lunches and a bowl of soup would be great for that.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Libby said...

I LOVE soup but have never been keen on the idea of cold soup. Might have to try this one though - it does sound nice. Mind you the weather has finally cooled down here :-)

emilysincerely said...

Your soup looks good. Last summer I made a cold cucumber soup with my mom when I was visiting her. It was a nice blend of Cucumber, yogurt, dill, garlic (and probably something else I have forgotten. We are having a bit of much needed rain today and LOTS of wind and it is forecast to freeze...so you can think of my weather to help you cool off (or go jump in your pool!)