Friday, November 5, 2010

Issues with mulberries


Mulberries are causing me issues at the moment:
1) Age old problem of getting mulberry stains out of kids' clothes. I've tried using glycerine, as advised by Shannon Lush in Spotless. Purple stains reduced to small blue dots on fabric. Sigh.
2) At one of the schools I teach at, there is a big mulberry tree whose branches trail into the playing oval. Unfortunately, this tree belongs to a crochety old man who lets fly with the language at the kids, as they pick his mulberries. It is the thankless task of the teacher on duty (ie. more often than not - me) to keep the kids away from said tree. This turns you into a crochety old woman. Double sigh.
Still, we love our mulberries, although the cool spring weather has meant that they aren't as sweet as normal. I'll stew this lot up with a tablespoon of sugar, and we'll have them to eat with some baked custard tonight after we get home from swimming club night. (That is, if it is on. Talk about rain the last few days!)
Hope you all have fab weekends.

5 comments:

gail said...

Yum! I'll be there for sweets at your place tonight.Have you checked Rhonda's post today. You could make a mulberry roly poly with them. Just a thought.
Have a nice weekend.
Blessings Gail

achan said...

Yummo! Your post brought back memories of my years in primary school. There was a large mulberry tree in the front yard on an elderly couple at the top of our street. We didn't know them but all knew stealing was wrong so we pinched as much as we could then ran as fast as we could. Years later the man came out and spoke to us, he said if you just asked I would have given you an icecream container to fill and take home! We all presumed he was a nasty old man but he wasn't.

I also remember teachers doing playground duty trying to stop kids throwing rotting persimmons! I never realised people ate them until I came to Japan!!

Marita said...

I have heard that you use the juice from unripe mulberries to take mulberrty stains out..

Crunchie's Mum said...

We used to climb a huge old mulberry tree as kids and come down purple. We were taught to rub our hands with the unripe mulberries and they would come clean. Worked every time, I'm not sure if it would work on clothes though.

emilysincerely said...

interesting hear from the comments about using the unripe berries to get the stains out. I will (at some point) be planting blackberries and hope it works for that too.