Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dolmades

We have about 100 shiraz, merlot and chambourcin vines out the back, as well as 5 vines growing under the verandah eaves around the house. A lot of vines, a lot of vine leaves.
I've thought that I should try and make dolmades for a long time. Today was the day.

Dolmades

About 30 vine leaves
2 finely chopped onions
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/3 cup basmati rice
salt and pepper
Juice of a lemon

Blanch the vine leaves for one minute in boiling water and leave to drain.
Soften the onions in about half the olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the currants, pine nuts, parsley, and rice as season with salt and pepper. Add a cup of water, bring to the boil and simmer covered for about 5 minutes or so or until the water has been absorbed. Leave to cool.
Line the bottom of a large saucepan with a couple of the leaves.
Take a vine leaf,(cut out the thick centre if needed), put two teaspoons of mixture at one end. Fold over the two sides, and roll from one end to make tight little parcels.
Cover the dolmades with a cup of water and the lemon juice. Put a small plate over the dolmades. Simmer for about 45 minutes (I did these in the pressure cooker at low pressure for 7 minutes).


Thanks again to all those who left comments for my 200 posts blogmark. It seems that incognito blogging is quite common, and that the question of how much or how little to reveal on your blog is a dilemma for writers everywhere.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Yep, I could relate to what you said in the first part of the blogging post.

I made dolmades in the early 80s I think. I love them. Maybe I should buy a can just to have on a snack for a treat for myself.

emilysincerely said...

Hi Paola,
wow, this looks great and easy too. Glad you finally got around to trying it, especially with you the grape leaves you have. I have a few wild grape vines on our property, although they have not produced any grapes since we bought the property, I wonder if I could use their leaves for this recipe? What do you think?

So, big question, did you and your family enjoy them? Will you be making them again?

Sincerely, Emily

Paola said...

Emily, they were a big hit with the family, especially Action Man who took eight of them with him to work for lunch today.
I'll go and check out your blog now.

Linda, I hope you got around to treating yourself. I'm not averse to the tinned variety either.