Monday, October 4, 2010

Holiday from motherhood

Strange couple of days around here. Action Man and the kids have gone to Queensland to visit my mother-in-law and I've been home alone.
I haven't been alone so long since before our son was born nearly thirteen years ago. In those days, I spent a lot of time alone because AM was then a ship's captain in the Navy, and was away a LOT.
I can't remember how I spent all those weekends alone (during the weeks I was working), but I do know I didn't appreciate then the luxury of having all that time entirely at my own disposal, with no responsibilities to anyone but myself.
So what have I done? I spent a lot of time sewing (made myself a pair of pants), reading and gardening. Went walking every day, and have had a couple of long yoga sessions. Cooked vegetarian meals. Played my music very loud, and watched a couple of DVDs. I feel like I've been on holiday, and have not felt lonely for a second.
Having said that, I am looking forward to picking up the kids at the airport tomorrow. (AM is off to Darwin for his birthday present fishing trip). Much as I have enjoyed the novelty of 72 hours without demands on my time, by tomorrow I know I will be glad to have my world back to normal...

9 comments:

Carina said...

One of my dad's favourite sayings is "A change is as good as a holiday". Enjoy the 'normality' again.

Tracy said...

Sounds like you have had a lovely weekend and made the most of your time. I don't know what I would do at all. I have never spent a night alone in my life. I think I would be scared which is sily at my age.

I love the lavender picture.
Tracy

Paola said...

Carina, yes I do feel like it's been a holiday. I feel refreshed..

Tracy, when these plans were being made I did feel a bit scared, mainly that I'd go into a "black" mood from being lonely. I think doing lots of things I like doing has been the key..it's been great..

Libby said...

Now that does sounds delightful. I'd love to potter around at home without having to think of anyone else but myself :-).

Libby

Sincerely, Emily said...

I am glad you had a good time and packed a lot of fun things into your time alone. I find that I enjoy my time alone, but there are times I really need and want to spend time with others too. Emily

achan said...

I bet you feel really refreshed now and ready to start another 13 year block!! Well for you I hope it isn't that long. I hope they missed you too.

Paola said...

Anchan...another 13 years..eek.
Also thanks for taking the time to make so many comments. Great to hear from you

notesfromthefrugaltrenches.com said...

Oooh I hope you've had a really relaxing time and if you are at a loss of things to do, I recommend watching any Jane Austen!

Paola said...

frugal trenches - funny you should say that. A re-watch of Pride and Prejudice was on the agenda