Sunday, August 8, 2010

What did bower birds do before blue plastic?


Well, it's been a cold winter for these parts this year, but the wildlife around here is gearing up for spring.

The bower bird that lives just outside my bedroom window has been busy getting the bower ready. Bits of blue plastic (what did they do for blue before the invention of plastic I wonder?) and bits of lime green foliage.
Meanwhile - the election!
The other day, for the first time in my life, I was polled about my voting intentions. This came as a complete surprise to me as I don't live in a marginal seat, and as far as I could see, the only views that count in this election are those of swinging voters in marginal electorates.
The surprise to me in this poll was that I was given to opportunity to give reasons for my intentions, which the researcher took down verbatim. So, I didn't hold back, and let fly with everything I thought about both sides' policies. It was a lengthy interview!
Polls. To me they are a scourge, a dampener on any politician with a bit of long term vision. The current election campaign bears this out. No policy from either side that will scare the horses. Policies completely devoid of any leadership. Instead, both parties' policies feed on exactly what the polls tell them.
Whilst it was interesting to take part in a poll, you have to wonder what politics would be like if they didn't exist. Would the parties be free then to devise policies that they might think are right instead of popular?
While we are on the subject, wouldn't it be great if our politicians weren't career politicians, where the meaning of their existence is to win elections. If these people had lives and jobs to go to, they would be able to put out what they think is right as policy, and see what happens. If the policies don't fly, no matter - they have other options. Instead, we have people who have only ever been in politics, wouldn't have a clue about any other field except politics. And to do that, they have to dance to the polls' tune it seems.
This need to change, don't you think?

3 comments:

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Wow lucky you to have a bower bird right outside! Amazing creatures.

As to the politics.....I've come to the conclusion that (sadly) politicians are only really interested in themselves.

maa said...

My late sisiter used to live near the lake at Tuross Heads and she had a bower bird in her yard too.
It was amazing to watch all the paraphernalia it collected. This picture has brought back wonderful memories of my times with her. It's also made me realise how much I miss her.

Paola said...

Cabbage tree...yes, I am coming to that conclusion too.
maa...bower birds are quite amazing creatures. I'm glad this post brought back some good memories of your sister..