Sunday, August 15, 2010

Loads of lemons

Growing stone fruit is such a sad saga around here, it's nice to be able to bang on about some fruit tree success! Our citrus trees - lemons, limes, oranges, mandarins and grapefruit - have been producing really well this year.
I've been busy seeing to the lemons. Above is the product of a "lemon session" I had last weekend. From left, lemon curd, limoncello, lemon and lime marmalade and preserved lemons. The recipes for the limoncello and marmalade are in the recipe list in the side bar. The marmalade is a bit - ahem - overcooked. It tastes good though!
This is the first batch of preserved lemon I've made, and I'm a bit unsure about it, maybe because I've never tasted preserved lemon, so I'm not sure what I'm aiming for. Still, you read about it a lot in Moroccan recipes, so I figure it was worth a go.
I've also been juicing lemons and freezing the juice in ice cube trays, and have frozen lemon slices for upcoming summer gin-and-tonics.
As for the oranges, mandarins and grapefruit, well they are eaten as is, although I've had to cultivate a taste for grapefruit to get through the volume.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I have been having trouble with either my computer or blogger and wanted to leave a comment on Tracy's blog about facebook, so thought I'd answer you here since it is working here.

I know teacher's shouldn't have current students as friends on facebook, and I have my settings of friends only to view what I have written. I have it nice for sharing photos, my cousin shared a photo of my brother and four cousins which I really enjoyed. My Mum showed me a picture of her dog by putting it on my brother's girlfriend's facebook for me. It is a good way of knowing if it is something you want your kids to be involved in, and understanding a little more about the kids' worlds I guess. With me my attitudes have changed quite a lot about people I know since facebook, which is probably why I didn't want to be on it, so it has brought me some peace, though maybe it is a bit better being a bit cautious.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

I've preserved lemons the Moroccan way too. They are excellent in lamb tagines/stews. Just slice off the pith/flesh leaving rind, rinse to remove salt and chop up. It has a really intense citrus flavour. I read not to store in the fridge, but, as my jar leaked when I tried to invert to mix, I did, doesn't seem to have done it any harm!

Paola said...

Linda, I can definitely see the attraction of facebook for exactly the reasons you write about. I'm a bit hesitant because I worry about the time that I am sure will disappear while on facebook.

Cabbage Tree Farm, thanks for the feedback on the preserved lemons. Sounds like they will be worth doing - I wonder are they very salty though?

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

I haven't noticed them being particularly salty. Bearing in mind you don't need to add much (maybe one 1/4) to a dish.

Sincerely, Emily said...

YUMMY! when we lived in California surrounded by citrus, I would juice juice juice until the freezer was overflowing. I miss that. We did plant a Meyer's Lemon tree this past winter, along with other types of fruit trees too. I look forward to fresh fruit in another year or two. Emily