Friday, August 13, 2010

Keep on running - Weeks 4 & 5

In my last running blog post, I was off the programme with back twangs, that had me shelving the running shoes until the back went back to normal.
That lasted 10 days. I returned to the programme, starting again at Week 4, and have now finished Week 5. I'm planning to repeat Week 5 in the upcoming week, mainly because I just feel my body needs it!
I am finding runs of longer than a kilometre a bit of a challenge . As soon as I hit the 1k mark, my legs seem to sieze up and not want to run any more.
I've been resorting to "positive affirmation" type stuff at this point- things like telling myself "I am running smoothly and easily" etc. etc. I still haven't run 1.5km straight, but am slowly getting there.
The other challenge is finding the time to run. This is my busiest time of year, workwise. I have very few "open" windows to run when I work, and I found this week they can easily close up, mainly with kids' activities - choir practice, doctor's appointments and the like.
In the next few weeks, though, as days become longer, early morning runs will be become a possibility. Even though I feel I get up early enough as it is (6.00am), some early morning starts will mean I can get my run done with before my time is at the mercy of work and family.
Last weekend, the City to Surf was run, a 14km run from Sydney city to Bondi. This year 80,000 people entered. I think I would like to make this a goal for next year. One year from 1km to 14km is doable, isn't it?

2 comments:

belinda said...

Hi Paola,

Congratulations on keeping on, it would have been so easy for that interruption to become permanent.

Although I have no personal experience with this your goal sounds quite achievable if you keep going the way you are a the moment. I have heard that many people hit another wall about 5km but once you get through that extending the distance out becomes a bit easier.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Paola said...

Hi Belinda,
I'd like to thank you for your ongoing encouragement for this running thing I have going on. It really does help keep me on the straight and narrow...