School holidays here. Cold and rainy outside. Kids still in pyjamas. I've just spent a fruitful couple of hours pottering around in the kitchen, making lots of things to make life a bit nicer. Here's what I did:
1. Made some oxtail stew in the pressure cooker for Action Man. We're going to visit my parents in Sydney for a few days from tomorrow, so the oxtail is for his dinner while we are away.
2. Made a batch of Anzac Biscuits. I've made so many batches now I make this recipe from memory.
3. Roasted a couple of kilos of tomatoes with a head of garlic, then pureed to make roast tomato sauce to be used on a pasta one day when there is no time to cook.
4. Made a batch of breadcrumbs from some stale bread.
5. Made a batch of dukkah, using a packet of cumin seeds, a packet of coriander seeds, a cup of hazelnuts and a couple of tablespoons of sesame seeds. Toast everything in a frypan, then whiz in the food processor. Add salt to taste. This is one of my favourite snacks - dip some good bread into olive oil, then dip into dukkah. Good to have on hand when people drop round.
Back into the kitchen later. The kids are going to make meatloaf for dinner, and I'll need to be around to supervise.