Monday, July 19, 2010

Chicken Pie

Whenever we have roast chicken, I always do two. As a family of four, one chicken used to do, but my twelve year old son (who at 170cm is just 5 cm shorter than me..and he's growing) is always looking for "more". So now I roast two chickens. With what's left over, I normally make what I call an Aussie chicken curry, or I'll turn it into chicken pie.

Here's what I do:

1. Saute one onion and a clove of garlic in some butter until soft (sometimes I'll use a leek too).
2. Add vegies you fancy - leftover roast vegies, mushrooms, peas work well. Saute these too. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour over the vegies and cook over medium heat for a minute or two.
4. Slowly add a cup or so of stock or water.
5. Add chicken which has been cut up into small pieces.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes or so.
7. Transfer to a pie dish.
8. Top with two sheets of puff pastry that have been rolled together. Use pastry offcuts to decorate and you fancy.
9. Brush with beaten egg (v. important if you want that beautiful golden colour). Bake at 200degrees for about 30 minutes or so.

No comments: