Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mandarin jam

Lots of citrus fruit around here, and we'd run out of jam. Time to try out the Mandarin Jam recipe I'd found in Sally Wise's A Year in a Bottle.
The method was a little vague, and I had quite a few questions. In the end, I devised my own method, and it worked out okay. Here it is:

Mandarin Jam

6-7 large mandarins
Juice of 2 lemons
White sugar

1. Cover the mandarins with water, bring to boil and simmer until very tender (this took me 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. Possibly 1 hour "normal" method?)
2. When tender, let the mandarins cool in the water. Reserve water. Once cool cut the mandarin flesh open and remove the seeds.
3. Puree mandarin flesh. Put into a measuring jug with lemon juice, and enough of the cooking
water to bring it to 4 cups/1 litre in the jug. Transfer to a saucepan.
4. Measure exactly the same amount of sugar and add to the mandarins.
5. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the jam has set (ie. when a teaspoon drawn through a tablespoon of mixture on a cooled plate causes the jam to "wrinkle").

I probably cooked this at too high a heat, the jam caught on the bottom of the pan. Hence the brown flecks in the jam. Never mind, adds flavour!

Can't wait to try this on home-made bread toast for breakfast tomorrow. Luxury.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

That will come in handy as I have 2 mandarin trees and was looking for a jam recipe.Thanks

Paola said...

Debbie,you're welcome. Hope it turns out okay.

Linda said...

A Year in a Bottle, amazing name.

Tracy said...

I have Sally Wise's book too and now I wish my mandarins were ripe.Let us know what it is.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Help! I was researching Mandarin Jam because like you I found S.W's recipe vague, and I cane across your method BUT you still don't say whether the mandarins should be peeled or not. What's the answer? Sue