Wednesday, May 26, 2010

To everything, a season

Have you ever noticed whether you have periods of time - days, weeks, or months - when you seem to be motivated, creative and achieve a lot? Your mind is overflowing with ideas, and you have the energy to follow them through?
I do. Maybe it's because I'm getting over the worst cold I've had in years but I also have periods, like now, when I don't seem to be doing or achieving much at all. The garden doesn't seem to need lots of attention (except I still need to plant garlic), there isn't much to preserve, for various reasons I'm not sewing or knitting. I'm not blogging much. Family life is ticking over nicely. My social life isn't particularly busy, but I'm keeping in touch with friends. I haven't even got a book on the go, which is really unusual for me. I'm not sad or depressed or even in blogging parlance lost my mojo. I'm just happily quiet, and not particularly driven to do much at all.
It may be seasonal, but rather than being necessarily connected to weather seasons, I believe this is more about internal seasons. I find that periods of high output need to counterbalanced with periods of quiet reflection, so I can gather energy for the next burst of activity whenever that comes. I'm glad that my life situation allows me the freedom to do just that.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hi Paola,
I know exactly what you mean. I have had my hiatus and now I am in my high energy phase. I think it might have something to do with having no caffeine in my system (for me anyway).