Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Loving Lentil Soup

Well, this picture might not be particularly inspiring, but this Lentil Soup is the nicest lentil soup you will ever eat.
As soon as I detected an autumn nip, I dug out this soup recipe from my recipe binder. I found it on Kathryn's excellent blog Limes and Lycopene here. Kathryn includes two secret ingredients - shoyu or soy sauce, and a good squeeze of lemon. Trust me, it makes all the difference
I cooked this in my trusty Pressure Cooker, in like, 20 minutes. I've blogged before about how much I love my Pressure Cooker. Over summer though, we haven't been eating too many soups and stews which PCs excel at, so it's only been out of the cupboard on occasion, not every single day. But colder weather has the Cooker out constantly.
I bought my pressure cooker in the local hardware store (not Bunnings), and was there the other day checking out what they have at the moment as I am considering buying another smaller cooker, to cook vegetables and rice. Anyway, I fell into a conversation with the assistant about pressure cooking. She was wondering whether to buy one herself, and I went into full-sell mode, waxing lyrical about the marvels of the modern pressure cooker, telling her she will never regret investing in one, it will change her life etc etc. I do go on, but I am positively evangelical about them.
Finally, she said to me "Crikey, you should get yourself a job here!"
Much as I would love to be surrounded by quality cookware constantly, honestly, I don't think the bank balance could take it...

4 comments:

libby said...

Sounds delicious. I love lentil soup so will def. have to try this one. I've been thinking about getting a pressure cooker after a recent cooking class.

Libby

Paola said...

Libby, do try this recipe. My kids beg me to make this one - another bonus...

Sincerely, Emily said...

Hi Paola, I have been away from the computer for a few weeks, so I am reading and catching up. This Lentil soup looks wonderful. I can't seem to use the link to the blog you mentioned for the recipe. I did find the blog by typing it in a search but am not sure which soup it is on her blog. We are creeping into summer here so I probably will wait until next fall to make it. Hope you have a good week. Emily in South Texas.

Paola said...

Emily - I've just re-done the link - hopefully it will work. If not, the address is
www.kathrynelliott.com.au/blog/2007/07/07/lentil-soup

Hope this helps - it really is a yummy soup.