Sunday, May 23, 2010

Feeling poorly


My blogging has been thin on the ground this month. We were away for a while, then Iwas busy with work and in the last week, I've been feeling poorly (don't you love that saying?). Nothing but a bad cold, but enough to have me in bed by 7.00pm every night. With lots of rest and doses of magic tea, I've just started to come good in the last day or two.
What's magic tea? It's a concoction of a couple of peeled garlic cloves, some fresh ginger slices, the juice of a lemon or two and a pinch of chili flakes. Put everything in a teapot, and pour boiling water over it. Let it steep for 5-10 minutes, and serve with a teaspoon of honey. Every time I feel a cold coming on, I make up a pot of this and it seems to stop the viruses in their tracks. Except this time, the viruses weren't letting anything get in their way. This cold was the worst I've had for years. Hopefully, that's it for this winter at least.
Autumn is well and truly here, and you can feel winter just around the corner. Even so, we are still picking loads of tomatoes. I have at least two dozen jars of preserved tomatoes put up, and still have more to do. The fact that they are still producing has meant that I haven't put in as many winter veg as I would like. Never mind. I'll pick Jap pumpkins this week too. We have about 20 - too many for us to get through, as Jap pumpkins don't seem to store as well as Queensland Blues, so I'll give quite a few away. I still haven't planted this year's garlic, so have to get cracking on that score.
The citrus season is with us, and our trees are laden with lemons, limes, grapefruit, mandarins and oranges. We struggle with stone fruit around here, but citrus is great. The grapevines are all bare, so in a few weeks, we'll start pruning.
Over in the sheep paddock, the ewes are fattening up nicely, which means lambing in a month or two. Meanwhile, our chickens and ducks are taking a laying hiatus. Every year about this time, they stop laying for about two months. I expect them to be back on the job after winter solstice, as the days start to lengthen again.
I've been busy planning a lunch for my extended family of about 40 people in a few weeks' time. Both Action Man and my aunt have a Significant Birthday on the same day, so we've offered to host a joint bash here. Lots to plan and think about, but it looks like it's all coming together nicely.
Hope everything is tranquil at your place, too.

5 comments:

libby said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly. I had a cold earlier in the week but it didn't get too bad. Last year I was laid up for almost a month with what eventually turned into sinus infection. I've determined that was 10 years worth of illness in one go :-).
I can't believe how much your garden is still producing. We really didn't have a great season this Summer.

Libby

achan said...

Sorry to hear that your not well either. I have spent the whole weekend in bed too, just a cold but it feels like I have been hit with a sledge hammer (I don't remember the last time I was sick)

I hope my tomatoes do as well as yours this year. A friend gave me a packet of old seeds and I planted them out just for curiosity and low and behold we have seedlings!! I just hope I get to eat some and not loose them all to the crows!!

Take care

maa said...

Hope you feel better soon,Paola.
Lucky you, still harvesting from the garden.

Paola said...

thanks everyone,for your kind words. I'm much better, although still seem to flake out early.

Tracy said...

Hi Paola,
I'm glad you are on the mend. I just planted 106 garlics on the weekend (a bit later than usual too) and I still have a lot more bulbs that I could plant. Just pulled up the last of the tomatoes, it has been so mild here too.
Take care,
Tracy