Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blimey

Today we get down to the nitty gritty - the subject for today's discussion is toilet seats. I'm sure you'll forgive me no pictures. Stay with me - it's worth it.
Our house is about 15 years old, and we have lived here for 7 years. For the last few months, Action Man and I have been using a broken toilet seat. The seat is solid wood, and it has come apart at the joins. No matter how much AM has tried, it refuses to be reglued. Needless to say, we sit down fairly gingerly. (ouch!)
So today I passed by a bathroom supply shop and made an unplanned stop to see about perhaps replacing said toilet seat. I wasn't too hopeful. The style is vintage, which was all the go in the mid 90s. Now the style is all sleek modern lines.
But miracle of miracles - this shop had the exact same toilet suite --and the exact same seat!
I asked the assistant for help.
"Those seats are really expensive you know"
I thought, oh yeah, how expensive can a toilet seat BE?
Readers - this is how expensive. $643.00. 6-4-3. Six hundred and forty three dollars.
I burst out laughing.
Needless to say, we will be gingerly sitting for a while yet.

9 comments:

belinda said...

Oh wow,

That is just absolutely off the planet. Good Luck with finding another replacement.

Kind Regards
Belinda

achan said...

Blimey is right!!! I knew antiques were expensive but I didn't think the 1990's were considered that long ago!

We can buy a heated, bidea (?), bottom washer and a 1,000 other gadget toilet seat for less than half that. Maybe you should live here!

Nelly said...

That's just insane!!! :O

libby said...

Good golly. I think we paid about that for a whole toilet when we built our home.

Libby

Paola said...

Thanks for all your comments. I'm still shaking my head.
Achan (*coarseness alert*)- When I told AM about it this evening he said "you'd want an automatic bottom wiper for that!" Bet you can get on in Japan!

achan said...

well it washes your behind then drys it with warm air so I guess we've got it!! and they're standard in every house and even at the shopping centre!!!!

maa said...

Sorry, couldn't help but burst out laughing at that ridiculous price.
Couldn't you find one at a demolition place perhaps?
Good luck.

Maa

Linda said...

Ebay?

Paola said...

Linda, I'll give ebay a try..