Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Crunchy Granola Sweet

Over the last few weeks I've been making granola for breakfast. It's so delicious, especially with some stewed rhubarb and home made yogurt. Who needs fancy cafe breakfasts when you can whip up this luxury and have it every single day?
As fast as I've been making it, Action Man and I have been hoovering it up, and I am only too glad to make some more. Did I mention it's damn delicious? Even more, the smell of granola toasting is one of the best smells you can get, in my opinion (along with Charles de Gaulle roses, espresso coffee brewing and line-dried laundry).
My version is heavy on the nuts and seeds. Could this be why the waistband on my favourite pants is suddenly tight? Sigh.
On other matters eating, last week I mused about a possible wheat intolerance. Well, I've been giving wheat a wide berth, but last night I made garlic toast to eat with soup and had a piece with no ill effect. Maybe wheat's not to blame after all. I'll just keep tinkering with my diet to see what works best.

What's your favourite smell?

4 comments:

belinda said...

I have to say I love my granola, particularly cause I prefer it sorta clumpy and there really aren't too many brands that make it that way.

I expect like mine your reaction to wheat is a cumulative thing. I know in my case I generally cope ok with one serve or day or less. Much above that and I am asking for digestive distress. Oh, and if I have had something to help with digestion in the last 24 hrs, ie active yoghurt, I can often get away with more than I usually can.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Paola said...

Belinda - I think that could be the case with me too.

maa said...

I just came across you blog. I hope you don't mind if I comment to your post.
If you're eating a lot of nuts, you might find that's part the problem you could be having. Cut them out of your diet for a while and see how you go.
Apparently they can literally give you a 'pain in the butt'!

Your granola looks so yummy too.

Cheers

Paola said...

Thanks Maa for the tip about the nuts. Me and my tummy are friends at the moment, but I have stopped eating the granola after the last batch ran out. Maybe it is the nuts after all?