Thursday, March 11, 2010

Restored!


Someone or something was listening. After running out of puff with the horribly humid weather, all of a sudden it has changed,and there is an autumn nip in the air. Hey, presto! I have my energy back! Hooray! I love autumn!
Today I've made some granola and some laundry liquid, using this recipe from Down to Earth. I've been using this recipe for nearly a year now, and it's been working really well. Each batch of 10 litres or so lasts me about 3 months (I do about 6-8 loads a week) and costs around $2.00. A great bargain!
Best of all, it's been a lovely day for getting out in the garden, so I've planted the seedlings I should have planted the other day: leeks, various lettuces, cavolo nero, celery and Florence fennel.
I planted these out in sections of the garden that have been vacant for a few months. We shovelled on a chook poo/lawn clipping mix onto the soil surface and just let it "cook" . Today, the soil was moist and friable and teeming with worms. Into each planting hole I also added about a handful of worm castings and compost. Then it was on with the mulch hay, and a drink of seaweed concentrate. Then I fed the existing vegies - tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, lettuce, rhubarb, capsicum, eggplant - with worm casting tea.

No comments: