Friday, March 19, 2010

Isn't that the point?

Straying off life on the land for today, but something has got up my nose and I need to vent!
Yesterday some Very Important Committee (I forget the name) released a Very Important Report, which predicted that costs of electricity would rise substantially over the next three years should the Federal Government ever get its Carbon Tax Scheme passed as law. For example, the VIR predicted that electricity from my provider (Energy Australia) would rise be 60%. Quite a lot, by any measure.
The kerfuffle that ensued was predictable. It's outrageous, moaned the opposition. Cheap electricity is our birthright, surely. We'll compensate people, they promised.
Excuse me, but aren't we missing something here? Why bring in a Carbon Tax in the first place? That's right - to create a price signal that will force people who would not otherwise do it to change their consumption habits. And we need consumption habits to change to arrest climate change. If you compensate people, surely you are subverting what you are setting out to do. The whole thing becomes a pointless exercise.
There, I feel better now!

Don't forget the giveaway - two highly informative volumes of Backyard Farmer, featuring articles on establishing a vineyard and making your own wine written by me! Plus more ultra interesting articles. Just tell me what you think makes a good blog - What makes you return to a blog for more? You have until next Sunday to post a comment.....

2 comments:

Sincerely, Emily said...

Texas - not Yaxas....

Sincerely, Emily said...

Hi Paola, here is the link to the "recipe" I used to make the yogurt.

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/

It was a bit runny for me, so the second batch I added 1/2 cup of powdered milk per every 4 cups. This worked great and made it more thick.

I think I got the powdered milk increment suggestions over at Rhonda Jean - Down to Earth.

Good Luck!!!!! Emily in South Yexas