Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fear of pastry


It's been a while since I've posted a recipe, so here is one for a tomato quiche-thingy of my own devising I rustled up in no time the other day when a friend came for lunch.
Tomato Quiche
2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry, thawed
3 eggs
1/2 cup cream
some chopped parsley
salt, pepper
parmesan cheese
enough halved cherry tomatoes to cover the quiche
1. Rolled the thawed pastry sheets one on top of the other so they stick together, then put into quiche tin.
2. Blind bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes with beans, then remove the beans and bake for about 10-15mins until the pastry is lightly golden.
3. Meanwhile beat the eggs and cream together, add the parsley, salt and pepper.
4.Pour into the pastry shell. Place the halved cherry tomatoes into the mixture, then cover the lot with grated parmesan.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is browned.
It was delicious, too. But, it could have been better.
Which brings me to the title, alluding to my fear of pastry. Notice I used ready made pastry here..that's because every attempt I've ever made at pastry has been deflating, to say the least. I don't know what I do wrong - I try to keep a light hand, and everything cold and work quickly, but all my pastries are blah.
So my mini goal for the next few weeks is to get over the Fear of Pastry by making pastry regularly. I plan to get to know my enemy, and foil it by sheer attrition. We have a couple of weeks' school hols coming up, which means potentially more kitchen time (although not always). Whatever. I'm going to learn to make pastry. If you have any tips I'd be most interested to receive them.
I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Sincerely, Emily said...

no tips from me at all. I am no help. I have no fear of pastry - because I have never tried, so I have never failed (ha). I just make a crustless quiche - there, didn't even have to try. A zillion years ago I tried making pie crusts - that didn't work and I was very young and too impatient back then. So if I want to make a pie, I buy the pre-made crusts and roll them out into the pie pan and that really defeats what I am trying to do with "homemade." The pastry crust in your photo looks lovely. I might have to give that a go (pre-made that is). We don't eat pie much and since I make a nice crustless quiche, learning to make the pastry items are very low on my list. I am having so much more fun with yogurt, granola bars, soap, etc.

Can't wait to hear how you do.

Paola said...

Thanks Emily. I've got an egg and bacon pie in mind to make - maybe Monday. So I hope there'll be a post soon!