I've been wanting to make yogurt for ages, and after extensive recipe research on the internet and in various recipe boooks, finally got around to it yesterday. It was a complete dud. I'm not sure where I went wrong. Here is what I did:
- Heated 1 litre of UHT full cream milk to 80 degrees C.
- Transferred milk to a bowl to cool to 45 degrees C.
- Put half cup of yogurt with live culture into a small jug.
- Whisked in a couple of tablespoons of milk until smooth.
- Added this to warm milk.
- Put a lid on the bowl, wrapped it up in a doubled up blanket, left on a sunny bench in kitchen for 10 hours.
- Transferred undisturbed to fridge overnight.
Milk consistency of pouring cream. Not solid at all. Sigh.
What to do now? Fresh milk? More yogurt? Different yogurt? Add milk powder? More blankets? Kitchen not warm enough (it's the warmest spot in the house)? Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to crack this one.