Action Man was away overnight for work, so I was given the duty of babysitting his grapes. A big responsibility. This entails punching down the skins back into the must periodically, and testing the pH and sugar content using little tools that bring out your inner scientist. Its actually a lot of fun.
If the sugar content (brix) reached 10 I was supposed to innoculate the must, but that hasn't happened, so AM will deal with that when it happens.
A while ago I promised a whole wine making tutorial. Hmmm, yes, well, I'm working on it!
This year's grape harvest was a disappointment. We had a huge amount of rain in early February - too much water exactly when we didn't want it. Once the rain stopped and the sun came out, the grapes split and were useless for winemaking. No matter. We took off the nets and the birds had a party!
This year's wine will come mainly from bought grapes. At this time of year, truckloads of wine grapes make the trip up from the Riverina to sell to the local home winemakers (mainly Italians, naturally), and we bought some too. That's what you see above fermenting away.
Thank you to Belinda, Marita and Guy for your comments re my dud yogurt. I've definitely taken your collective advice on board and will make Yogurt Part 2 soon. Let you know how I go!