Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Babysitting grapes


Action Man was away overnight for work, so I was given the duty of babysitting his grapes. A big responsibility. This entails punching down the skins back into the must periodically, and testing the pH and sugar content using little tools that bring out your inner scientist. Its actually a lot of fun.
If the sugar content (brix) reached 10 I was supposed to innoculate the must, but that hasn't happened, so AM will deal with that when it happens.
A while ago I promised a whole wine making tutorial. Hmmm, yes, well, I'm working on it!
This year's grape harvest was a disappointment. We had a huge amount of rain in early February - too much water exactly when we didn't want it. Once the rain stopped and the sun came out, the grapes split and were useless for winemaking. No matter. We took off the nets and the birds had a party!
This year's wine will come mainly from bought grapes. At this time of year, truckloads of wine grapes make the trip up from the Riverina to sell to the local home winemakers (mainly Italians, naturally), and we bought some too. That's what you see above fermenting away.
Thank you to Belinda, Marita and Guy for your comments re my dud yogurt. I've definitely taken your collective advice on board and will make Yogurt Part 2 soon. Let you know how I go!

4 comments:

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

WOW! So interesting! I love the picture! So sorry your yogurt didn't work, do hope the next attempt is successful! :)

Sincerely, Emily said...

that is a nice looking bunch of grapes!

Looks like you had a ton of good advise on the yogurt making. I add powdered milk to make a thicker yogurt and I put the jars in a warm bath in a cooler for 3 hours, then to fridge. it has worked for me - but I am new to this, I have only made it 2x. Emily

Paola said...

Thanks for the advice Emily. I was wondering whether a cooler would be useful myself, so I'll definitely try it out.

Sincerely, Emily said...

If I can find the source I found the directions I use, I will let you know. Emily