Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Too many cucumbers


One of the things that delights and annoys me about gardening is how you can never tell how a particular crop will go.
Past crops seem to be no indicator at all. For example, I've never had much luck with cucumbers. They seem to get powdery mildew before I know it, so I'm lucky to get a dozen cukes before they the plant turns up its toes. But this year! Boy! We have a plant that has given us dozens of cucumbers. This is this morning's harvest, one of many. And there are more cucumbers to come. Beats me why this particular plant is doing well this year. I can't think of anything I'm doing any different. And it's been a fairly standard summer - hot and humid. Why then so many cucumbers? I'd love to know.
Most of these will be given away, because we can't eat them fast enough. I've been scouring my cookbooks for ideas for cucumbers, but am not coming up with a lot apart from cucumber raita and greek salad. And I'm not a fan of pickled cucumbers.

5 comments:

Linda said...

How about pickles, like cucumber and apples pickles, it is yellow?

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

I so agree re never knowing how crops will turn out!!!

Paola said...

Linda, unfortunately, I'm not a fan of pickles, but maybe I can make some and give them away if they turn out okay.
notes, wouldn't it be great if plants were predictable??Thanks for dropping by the blog!

food said...

julia child has some interesting recipes for baked cucumbers..ive not yet tried anything from her books which idont like! :-)

Paola said...

Thanks for the tip. I've never read any Julia Child, but I've been thinking about investing in MAstering the Art of French Cooking since I saw Julie and Julia!