Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grape picking 2010


Here's Action Man in typical action mode, putting some of last year's wine into bottles, just in time for this year's wine to start it's journey from vine to bottle.
After the debacle that was the 2008 wine, 2009 was pleasing. The chambourcin is a light red that tastes good chilled, a great wine for summer. The shiraz has been a bit more troublesome. There aren't any "off" flavours or odours(caused by hydrogen sulphide aka rotten egg gas), but the wine lacks something. A local professional winemaker has had a taste and reckons that bottle aging will improve the wine somewhat, so AM has bottled accordingly and is crossing his fingers.
Making his own wine has been AM's dream since I have known him, which is now over 20 years, so it is very satisfying to see a dream realised. It's funny though...the wine seems beside the point. The satisfaction is definitely in the process. Even funnier...I'm not a big drinker but I do like my wine. Despite this, I've given up wine completely for Lent, after reading Frugal Trenches post on Lenten sacrifice. (It's going well,BTW. I really haven't missed it at all. I'm starting to wonder, will I drink again?) Meanwhile, AM is on a fitness kick training for triathlons and such, and has also given up drinking.
We'll probably pick our grapes this weekend, which means a busy time will be had by all (kids included). I'll take some photos of the process and post a tutorial on the subject.

4 comments:

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

oooh can't wait to see pics and read the tutorial!

Paola said...

IF I can figure out why I'm having trouble uploading photos, I definitely will.

Sincerely, Emily said...

Hi Paola, I have been away for 2+ weeks and I am just starting to catch up with your posts. I hope your wine adventures this weekend go well. Emily

Paola said...

Hi Emily, nice to hear from you. Grapes went pretty well- not as many as last year. If I can figure out why I can't upload photos, I'll post a tutorial soon.