Monday, February 8, 2010

Fig sorbetto


February means figs around here, and this year our tree has given us a beaut crop. We've been eating and jamming heaps of figs, but my favourite figgy treat is fig sorbetto. The recipe is so simple. Here it is:

Fig Sorbetto

Destalk 12 figs.
Roughly chop and place in a food processor along with 200g caster sugar, 200ml cream , juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Process to a puree.
If you have an ice cream maker, use that to churn. (Otherwise, place in a container and put into the freezer for 3 hours. Then remove the ice cream and beat to remove ice crystals and replace in fridge).

Freeze for a few hours before serving.


How easy can ice cream get? And it tastes amazing. I reckon you could replace the figs with 500g strawberries, mangoes, poached peaches. Maybe even bananas, although I don't imagine the colour will be too appetising...

Ice cream makers I guess are in that category of appliances that could be considered in danger of being superfluous - you know, those appliances you buy because they seem like a good idea but you never use. But I love my ice cream maker, and use it often to the point where we haven't bought ice cream for about...oh,eight years or so. It's right up there with my food processor and stand mixer.

3 comments:

Sincerely, Emily said...

WOW - this looks wonderful. Now I really want our grown fig tree to do well this spring and summer. We just planted 7 other fruit trees and one is a fig that is developed for our area. I can't wait (but will have to).

Also love the little frog in your last post. When my mom brings her plants in for the winter up north where they get lots of snow, she usually has at least one tree frog in a plant. "he" will come out from time to time and "chat"during the winter but otherwise he is very quiet. really fun.

And volunteer plants are fun too. I had a tomato coming up near the compost pile but it froze during the really cold temps we had this winter. oh well. I love yours right in the stairs. How nice that you respect it and let it flourish!

Emily

Paola said...

Good luck with those figs, Emily. I hope they reward you this summer, and do try this ice cream if you can...it's yummo.
I like that term "volunteer plants", it tickles me...

beangirl said...

Wow that looks good.

I just posted an answer to your comment re: NRL on my blog. But the answer is "My husband is from Bradford, England and his father also was heavily involved in NRL in NZ." Texas is just a passing nightmare that my husband thinks he might wake up from some day. He is wrong.