Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A lot of garlic


One of my pet hates is supermarket garlic. I don't know why, but in a country that can grow everything and anything, the major supermarkets insists on selling imported garlic from China. Why? I have no idea.


The only positive about supermarket garlic is that it is cheap (if you don't think about the carbon used to get it here). There are no other advantages. At it's best it is spongy and smells stale. At it's worst it smells rancid and sprouts as soon as you take it home.


Fortunately garlic is easy to grow. Just plant garlic cloves pointy side up and wait six months over winter. That's it.


Here is this year's harvest, drying out outside before being braided and put into storage. Seems a lot, but I'll give some away, keep some to plant next year and ...I love my garlic. I use it a lot. These should last about nine months or so before they too start to sprout. I think I'll investigate preserving some in oil this year to get me through the garlic drought.



BTW, I'm having trouble with my internet connection (satellite dish+tin roof+hot weather = constant drop outs. Remind me I live in a developed economy not 15 kms away from a major town). Anyway, this has meant that posting and uploading photos has become a trial. I'm not even sure this will work. Bear with me....

4 comments:

kisiselurunler said...

We all eat vitamins and store garlic are used in his great taste and flavor is also good natural antibiotics even swine flu.sarımsak hapı yorumları

Edith said...

Do you use a supermarket garlic clove to start your garlic? I find myself anxious to find more sustainable ways to live and stay healthy.

Paola said...

Edith, I used organic garlic from a farm produce store to get me started. I reckon you could use supermarket garlic...it sprouts easily enough!

Sincerely, Emily said...

Lovely Lovely garlic. My neighbor gave me two cloves to plant and they are just coming up now. I need to get some more mulch around them. I have no idea what kind they are, it doesn't matter. I like the idea of them passing some on to me to plant. I am anxious to see what kind of flavor it has. I will also order some elephant garlic with my seed order to try that too. My sister in law buys peeled garlic cloves in a jar and freezes them. I would like that would work with fresh too. It is worth a try. Thanks for sharing your lovely garlic harvest - it looks great. Emily