Friday, September 4, 2009

Lemon cake and bubbles


I do enjoy baking, and like to try out different recipes. Yesterday I made a Chocolate Avocado Cake, for one of Action Man’s vegan colleagues. I can’t wait to hear how it tasted (hopefully there’ll be a slice for me to try!).

Even though I am always casting around for new recipes, I also have a few favourites (Nonna did too - she made Tollhouse cookies, an apricot/almond slice and apple pie ad infinitum, and we never complained).

I love lemon in baking, and this is my favourite way to use it. The method is super easy, and you should have all the ingredients at hand. A no-brainer really.

Lemon Cake

185g unsalted butter, softened (it must be soft)
¾ cup caster sugar
Zest on one lemon
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups self raising flour

Preheat oven to 160ºC. Grease and line a loaf tin, about 12 x 23 cm.

Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat until just smooth. Put mixture into loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack place over a large plate. (see, told you it was easy).
Mix together ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup lemon juice, without letting the sugar dissolve. Quickly spoon over the warm cake. The juice will permeate and cake and leave a crunchy topping.



And no, apropos of nothing, really, some photos courtesy of my nine year old, who has just done a photography course and now won’t give me my camera back!

4 comments:

Linda said...

My Mum made a slice called Chinese Chew with lemon juice in the icing.

Sincerely, Emily said...

hey, now that lemon cake is something I will try. I just came back from visiting a friend near San Francisco and brought back a bag of lemons in my suitcase. I just made a rhubarb dump cake, so when that is gone your lemon cake is on the list. thanks for sharing it. EMily

Sincerely, Emily said...

FORGOT to mention - I LOVE BUBBLES!!!!!!

Telela said...

I love that Lemon Cake - only ours has never lasted long enough to cool down and form a crunchy top. Consumed straight out of the oven is how we enjoy ours. Yum! I might have to bake one tonight.