Monday, July 20, 2009

Lemon and Lime Marmalade


Isn't nature great? Just as I am dredging the last bits of fig jam out of the last jar, it gives me the wearwithall to make my second favourite breakfast toast topping, marmalade. Here's the recipe:


Lemon and Lime Marmalade


6 lemons

6 limes

water

About 1.6kg white sugar


Wash then cut the lemons and limes into eighths. Finely slice each of these pieces, pith and all, and tip into a large bowl.Save any pips, put them into a little square of muslin, tie it up with kitchen string and stick that in the bowl too. Add about 2 litres of water, and leave overnight.

Next day, put everything into a large saucepan, bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for about 2 hours. Measure the lemon/lime mixture, and for each cup, tip 200g of sugar into the mixture. I had 8 cups of mixture, so I used 1.6kg sugar. Discard the muslin bag of pips. Put about 4 saucers into the freezer at this point. Put the marmalade mixture back into the saucepan stirring to dissolve the sugar.Bring to the boil, then simmer. I set the timer for 15 minutes once it is at a simmer. After 15 minutes, I drop a tablespoon of mixture onto a frozen saucer. If it wrinkles when you drag the end of a spoon through it, it has set. If not, set the timer for 5 minutes, and repeat the process. [My last batch set after 20 minutes, but I've had batches not set until 40 minutes. You just have to be vigilant for this bit].

I sterilise my jars by washing them in soapy water, then I stick them into a very slow oven for 15 minutes or so. Put the marmalade into the hot jars, and seal. Done!


Meanwhile, I've been busy in the sewing room making a pair of pants, and wouldn't you know it? I've mislaid my fabric scissors. I'm one of those people who can remember to the date of some obscure occurrence 25 years ago, but can't remember where I put my scissors yesterday. It has really stopped my sewing in its tracks.

No comments: